Wednesday, August 20, 2014

How can one schedule their time to read the Bible?


And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word
...one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:39,42
*First of all, make it a priority.
If you don't make it a priority, it probably won't happen very often. I'm learning that what you prioritize is what you get done. If it's last thing on your list, you probably won't have time. We have time for what we make time for.

*Figure out what time works best for you.
First thing in the morning or before you go to bed are good times. But I remember reading about one lady who woke up for a few hours in the middle of the night and had her quiet time then! That's what worked for her! But it doesn't matter when as long as it is done. Some people listen to it on their phone or on a cd. My dad used to listen it to it first thing when he woke up as he wasn't the best at reading.
I find it difficult to have a set time as I have a husband who needs less sleep than I do, a baby who wakes during the night and children who sometimes wake quite early! So I have to find moments here and there. I also find it helpful to put verses up where I can see them often. Enjoy your uninterrupted quiet times while you can!

*Make it an everyday habit
Reading the Bible is good for us, even if we don't always feel like it. Habits aren't easy to break, so we need to make good ones!

*It's a choice
Jesus said that Mary chose to listen to him. We need to choose to read our Bibles. If we don't choose, it won't happen. Sometimes we have to choose between reading our Bibles and doing or reading other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment